In case you haven’t noticed, we have been raving about Philip Kingsley’s Elasticizer for years. It has won numerous awards, and is a go-to hair hero for celebrities, stylists, beauty editors and The Travel Beauty Team. Elasticizer was developed by Philip Kingsley in the 70s for legendary actress Audrey Hepburn. Audrey sought Philip’s help after years of on-set over-processing had left her hair majorly damaged. Audrey’s condition prompted Philip to formulate Elasticizer, which recently celebrated its 40th birthday.
Intensive Moisturizing Hair Treatment
This intensive moisturizing pre-shampoo treatment is magic! It delivers elasticity, bounce and shine to all hair types, even after just one use.
Elasticizer has been a lifesaver for the highlight-loving Travel Beauty Team. We wanted to share a quick how-to guide, as we have received many questions about how to apply Elasticizer at home. (Though if you can get to Philip’s Trichological Clinic in New York City or London to have an expert treatment and/or Elasticizer application, definitely do!)
- Lightly dampen hair with hands
- Apply Elasticizer in sections, smoothing on the top of your hair and then working it into hair in sections with your whole hand
- Fine & medium textured hair apply sparingly through mid lengths and ends two to three times a month
- Coarse, wavy, curly or frizzy hair use more generously through entire hair length once or twice a week
- Afro Caribbean hair – try Elasticizer Extreme
- Leave in for 10-20 minutes…or longer
- We have gone to the gym and played golf with Elasticizer on—just put hair in a bun after you apply the product and be on your way. The heat that your body generates from these activities gives the treatment and extra added punch!
- It’s safe to leave Elasticizer in all day or sleep with it overnight under a shower cap
- Rinse well and follow with appropriate shampoo, conditioner and scalp toner
- When you condition after Elasticizer, you only need to rinse it through your hair—no need to leave on for several minutes
When to Use on Processed Hair
- Do not use Elasticizer for three days before and three days after coloring hair
- For fine & medium textured hair, use once a week
- For coarse, wavy, curly, frizzy and Afro Caribbean hair, use twice a week
Experiment with Elasticizer
Elasticizer can also be used to style hair—this is something we learned through experimentation! It can be applied with a styling cream with some hold to give great frizz-free definition to curls and can be used to achieve that piecey ends look on an edgy bob.
Have a kid with curly-ques? A little Elasticizer makes a great leave-in conditioner and detangler.
We’ve even been told that some sensitive-skinned men love TO SHAVE WITH IT!
Have YOU conducted a successful Elasticizer experiment? Please do tell! We would love to share your tip(s) with the Travel Beauty community.