Big New Year’s Plans? *Now* is the time to prep so you look your absolute best as you ring in 2016. Here’s how Travel Beauty’s Claire McCormack gets ready for a big event.
As a working mom, I spend very little time on my personal upkeep, so when I have an event that I’d like to look good for, I am forced to confront, en masse, all of the beauty appointments I’ve been putting off. As I feared, my pre-event beauty to-do list was soon longer than my waaaay overgrown bangs. To bring some levity to the situation, I decided to document all the beauty appointments I made to ensure I’d look presentable on the big day (and when I say presentable, I mean as Vogue cover-ready as I possibly can look).
Two Weeks Out
- Highlights & Bang Trim: In theory I could have done this a week before the event, but then I would have had to go about my life for another week with my hair as is, and it was in such a state that waiting even another seven days was not an option. Besides, my bangs always look their best when they’ve had some time to settle and grow a bit post-trim.
- Research Manicure Designs: I had this idea to do a negative space French manicure, so I took several screenshots of cool ideas. Thanks, Instagram, for the endless inspo!
One Week Out
- Body Scrub: Though I am always well-exfoliated, I take special care before an event. I did the first scrub one week out, then another a day before my spray tan (see below). This scrubbing includes using my Diamancel Foot File on heels almost every day.
- Face Scrub: Dr. Dennis Gross Peel Pads every day on face for the week leading up to the event. They are the best when you can’t get a pro peel!
Four Days Out
- Waxing: No, I wasn’t planning on wearing a bikini on the big day; this was really in preparation for my spray tan later in the week. Going in naked is your best bet. If you think tan lines are bad, spray tan lines from the disposable panties they will give you to wear are just pitiful! So do what you need to to feel comfortable (as possible) being nekkid for your spray tan.
- Purchase Outfit: I know, I know…this is down to the wire. I don’t usually procrastinate, though. As much as I love having new clothes, I HATE shopping. I try to buy as much of my wardrobe as possible online. However, a party dress/outfit was something I needed to try – and get feedback – on. Luckily, my bestie John owns International Playground and played stylist for me. We’ve done this many times before for other events and it’s always been a success. I highly recommend International Playground for your special event shopping.
Three Days Out
- Hair Mask: Doing at least one at-home Philip Kingsley Elasticizer hair treatment is a must, especially if the weather forecast is FRIZZ.
- Microcurrent Facial at SB Skin: Perfect for dewy, firm, smooth skin. Accentuates my bone structure in a way no blush, bronzer or contouring ever could.
Two Days Out
- Colonic: Nothing makes my skin glow like colonics and kickboxing. Also, I planned on eating a LOT of delicious red meat at the party, so a pre-party detox was a good idea.
- Another at-home body scrub, in preparation for…
- Spray Tan: Perhaps this is not a pre-event necessity for everyone. My legs, however, are so pale, however, that people would have called Ghost Hunters on me without it. It is also the healthiest and easiest way to “lose” five pounds in 15 minutes.
- Nails: A pre-event given, right? What gal doesn’t get a mani/pedi before a party? My daughter and I went together, the night before, for a little girl time.
- Blowout: Since my whirlwind day started EARLY in the morning, I had to do my and my daughter’s blowouts the night before. Though I kept it simple and straight, I wanted that extra polish that comes from a professional blow dry/flat iron. And as I’ve said before, I don’t even own a hair dryer!
- Mini Touch Up Facial with SB Skin: The results when you cluster two treatments close together are remarkable! The second facial was half the time – just going over my facial contours.
What do you think? Too much? Too little? What is your prep routine for hosting a major party or event?